1. Trick or treat!
If we’re talking ghouls and scares, let's kick off with Halloween. It’s a fun, delicious celebration for humans but comes with a bucket-load of hazards for our dogs. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, thanks in the main to a chemical called theobromine. But it’s not just the chocolate to watch for; candy can also contain artificial sweeteners that are dangerous to dogs. Keep your trick-or-treating haul safely out of your dog's reach.
Consider a calming pheromone diffuser or putting your dog somewhere they feel safe at home. The creepy sounds and all those extra visitors to your house during Halloween can be unnerving and stressful for dogs.
The damp soil and leaf litter in the autumn months is the perfect environment for toxic mushrooms to flourish. You might notice them popping up everywhere, especially on woodland walks. A snack on the wrong type of wild mushroom can be lethal to your dog, so take care when playing fetch. An accidental mouthful of mushrooms could be dangerous.
3. Creaky joints
In the cooler weather, dogs with aging joints might find getting about becomes more difficult. Colder temperatures can mean joint stiffness, especially in older dogs.
Keeping them up and active is vital to keep them mobile. Decreased daylight means dogs often get shorter walks, which can result in them gaining a few pounds…not good if they already have joint stiffness.
So keep them busy, and consider adding a high-quality joint supplement to their daily regimen to support their normal joint health and mobility.
No matter if they’re venomous or not, your dog doesn’t want to come across a grumpy, sleepy snake. In autumn, they’re getting ready to hibernate and can be more likely to bite if disturbed. Make sure you know what types of snakes live in your area and where they might hang out. That way, you can avoid any unwanted interactions with your dog.
It’s vital at this time of year that you keep your vehicles properly maintained and antifreeze useful, but it can be deadly to your dog. Spills when topping up, or leaks from your radiator need cleaning as soon as possible. Ethylene glycol is the ingredient of concern—it has a sweet smell and is quite alluring to some dogs, but ingestion, even in small amounts, can cause severe kidney damage. If you think your dog has come into contact with antifreeze, consult your veterinarian immediately.
6. Fallen leaves
We all love to kick through a pile of leaves, and our dogs love to chase them—but rotting leaves harbor molds, fungi, and bacteria that can cause your dog digestive upset. Your dog probably loves playing in the leaves at much as you do, but stop them from eating them and rinse off their coat after your walk. This stops them from ingesting any toxins when they groom themselves.
If you’ve got kids, no doubt you spend your fall days emptying acorns out of pockets. There is something irresistible about them. Beautiful as they are and delicious if you’re a squirrel—these autumn wonders are toxic if ingested by your pets (or you for that matter, so no nibbling). They can cause vomiting and diarrhea, abdominal pain, intestinal blockages and even kidney damage. If you think your dog may have ingested acorns, please contact your veterinarian for advice.Looking for a joint supplement to support your dog this fall? Get your 60-day risk-free trial kit of Antinol.